Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Treat Jars

Hello everyone! I hope this Tuesday before Christmas finds you all finished with your decorating, and shopping, and baking, and wrapping (yea RIGHT lol!) If you're like me, you'll be working on things up until the very last minute ;)

Today I have a fun post for you. There's a certain snack mix that I LOVE to make at Christmas (I'll include the recipe at the end of this post). It's one of the most delicious treats ever! So during the past year, knowing that I would want to make it for Christmas gifts, I started saving glass instant coffee jars as I emptied them. I make coffee protein shakes almost every morning for breakfast (it's kind of like a Starbucks frappuccino, only cheaper and healthier!), so I was able to save quite a few of these to recycle.





Decorating these jars was a lot of fun! I was able to use up some of my older Christmas paper.




I used 12x12 sheets, and when you wrap it around this size jar, there is about a 1 inch gap in the back, but that's OK, it looks like many actual jar labels that don't quite fit all the way around.




I added various borders, trims, ribbons and tags to these jars. The large tag on the jar below is one I had made last Christmas. I had several of these left over and it was handy to have them ready to use this year. Here is the post if you'd like to see how I made these.




I love how the ball fringe looks on this jar, I wish I had this in every color of the rainbow!




Another fun part of making these jars was decorating the lids. These Martha Stewart doilies were the perfect size for the lids. Then I added various stamped PTI Christmas tags on top.




These are Spellbinder snow flakes.




Love how this one turned out.




If you don't have any jars on hand, another quick and easy way to package the snack mix is to use a mini bread loaf pan with a lid. On the sample below I just wrapped a piece of patterned paper around the pan that coordinated with the tag. Some pretty ribbon tied in a bow finishes the presentation; easy peasy!




OK, now for that snack mix recipe I promised. If you love a salty sweet combination, you will ADORE the flavors in this mix. When I make this I have to get it packaged quickly because it won't last around this house lol!

SUGARED CRANBERRY TRAIL MIX

1 cup whole almonds
2 cups small pretzels
1 cup dried cranberries
1 egg white
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350. Spread almonds evenly on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 min. or until nuts are slightly darker in color. Cool. Reduce oven temperature to 225. In a large bowl, combine almonds, pretzels and cranberries. In a small bowl beat egg white until foamy. Pour over pretzel mixture, toss until well coated. In another small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over pretzels; toss to coat well. Spread on greased baking sheet. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely on pan. Store in an airtight container.

A couple of things about this recipe, first, I ALWAYS double it! The only part I don't double is the cranberries, use a heaping cup full; personally I think 2 cups is too much. Also, you can substitute other nuts for the almonds. This year I did a mixture of half almonds and half pecans. And lastly, I use a jelly roll style pan to brown the nuts AND bake the mix in (no need to dirty 2 pans!)

That's all for today folks. I have another gift packaging idea for you that I'll share tomorrow; see you then!

24 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I love all the colors together! The snowflake topper is my favorite...I like that you did two snowflakes on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm, that recipe sounds delicious! Love the way you packaged these up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane I LOVE the packaging and the recipe sounds FABULOUS! I am gonna give it a try!! :)
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your packages, Diane! Crafting is so much fun and makes the season Jolly! TFS! Have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just beautiful. I have zoomed in on every single one! I actually took a little break inbetween and tried to emboss a little border onto a tag to see if I could do it! The mix also looks like something my family would love. Great post today, Diane. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful, Diane!! I just love how you decorated your jars! Beautiful!
    Thanks for the recipe, I am definitely going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these are absolutely adorable, Diane!! I love all the little details you added. Are the MS doilies a punch or a package of doilies? I love the look they add to your jars. Have a Merry Christmas, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all came out great! Thanks for sharing the recipe too. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful packaging Diane! The recipients are getting two treats in one--the mix and the jars. Thanks for sharing the recipe--sounds very tasty!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Martha Stewart doilies come in a package. I get mine at Michaels, they have them hanging in the MS section of the store :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Diane!!!
    What a treat your post is once again!!
    And where do you find the time and energy to make all these beauties?!
    I love your attention to details and the way you have combined the various elements together!!

    Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, these are all so gorgeous! I wish I had seen this a couple days ago. I just had to decorate a jar for a gift and I had a hard time trying to figure out what to do since I've never done that before. Love all of your beautiful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Each jar has it's own distinctive look, and they're all so pretty and festive! I just love how you did the lids! TFS the snack mix recipe, but I'm really curious about your coffee protein shakes now too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fantastic Diane! I love the papers you used long with those awesome tags!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds and looks wonderful Diane!! I love all your little treat jars. Hope you have a bery merry Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wonderful packaging idea, Diane! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diane, these are so fun! I love how each one takes on its own personality and uniqueness, no two are alike! I love how you decorated the tops too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy looking treat jars! I would eat the treats and treasure the jars as keepsakes :) Happy Holidays Diane :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Diane, these are adorable treat containers! You decorated them all so beautifully. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe with us. Merry Christmas to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, these are adorable! Love that you make each one unique!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are SO festive! My tummy is growling at reading about this goodness ... looks like we will need to do some baking here soon :0) Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That recipe sounds yummy!!! Fabulous packaging!! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me a comment :)